Followers

11/1/15

It's All About Sharing / Se Trata de Compartir



Kristy at the San Diego Rock & Roll Marathon, 2014

Inspiration came to me early this morning so, before I lose it, I decided to write a short post.

I got up early and while I was trying to figure out what kind of pancakes I should make for breakfast, I picked up my phone and read Kristy’s Facebook post where she shared pictures of her pancakes. Kristy is my niece who lives in New York. She often inspires me to do things… like running my first 5K and trying new kinds of beer. She is an awesome marathon runner and she loves a good beer. She is also a great cook who focuses on cooking and eating healthy and nutritious food, like the pancakes she prepared this morning. They were made with teff, an incredibly nutritious grain high in protein and calcium. 

Teff is one of the earliest domesticated plants and it originated in Ethiopia but is now being raised in United States. I was introduced to teff a few years ago by my friend and co-worker, Helen, who showed me how to make injera, a traditional Ethiopian bread made with teff flour and a staple in Ethiopian cuisine. I’ve tried to make injera several times but with very poor results so I usually use teff in pancakes and I have made veggie burgers with it. I’ll share that recipe some other time. 

Today, I was inspired by Kristy to make teff pancakes for breakfast. Our time zone is 3 hours different from New York, so I was so glad that, by the time I got up, she had her pancakes made and shared in Facebook. I was inspired to make this delicious breakfast. Now, I’m sharing my recipe here and hope this will inspire someone else - it is all about sharing!

Teff Pancakes

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole teff grain
1/4 cup powdered coconut milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process first 3 ingredients in a blender until pulverized. Pour into a large bowl and whisk in baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with the buttermilk, stir in melted butter and vanilla. Combine wet and dried ingredients to form the pancake batter. Cook pancakes on a hot griddle. Makes 12 delicious 4-5 inch pancakes.





Se Trata de Compartir

Kristy en el San Diego Rock & Roll Maratón, 2014 

La inspiración me llegó temprano esta mañana así que, antes de que la pierda, dicidí escribir un breve post.

Me levanté temprano y mientras estaba tratando de averiguar qué tipo de pancakes hacer para el desayuno, cogí mi teléfono y leí un mensaje en Facebook de Kristy donde compartió fotos de sus pancakes. Kristy es mi sobrina que vive en Nueva York. A menudo me inspira a hacer cosas ... como correr mi primera carrera de 5 km y probar nuevos tipos de cerveza. Ella es un corredor de maratón increíble y le gusta disfrutar de una buena cerveza. También es un gran cocinero que se centra en preparar y comer alimentos sanos y nutritivos, como los pancakes que preparo esta mañana. Los hizo con teff, un cereal muy nutritivo alto en proteínas y calcio.

Teff es una de las plantas domesticadas más antiguas y se originó en Etiopía, pero ahora se está cultivando en los Estados Unidos. Conocí el teff hace unos años por medio de mi amiga y compañera de trabajo, Helen, quien me enseñó cómo hacer injera, un pan tradicional etíope hecho con harina de teff y un elemento básico en la cocina etíope. He tratado de hacer injera varias veces, pero con resultados muy pobres, así que suelo usar el teff en pancakes y he hecho hamburguesas vegetarianas con él. Compartire la receta en otra ocasión.

Hoy fuí inspirada por Kristy y prepare estos pancakes de teff para el desayuno. Nuestra zona horaria es de 3 horas diferentes de Nueva York, así que me alegro de que, en el momento en que yo me levanté, ella ya tenía sus pancakes hechos y compartidos en Facebook. Me inspiré para hacer este delicioso desayuno. Ahora, estoy compartiendo mi receta aquí y, con suerte, esto inspire a alguien mas - se trata de compartir!

Pancakes de Teff

1/2 taza de harina para todo uso
1/2 taza de cereal integral teff
1/4 de taza de leche de coco en polvo
1 cucharadita de bicarbonato de sodio
1/2 cucharadita de polvo de hornear
1 cucharadita de azúcar 
1 pizca de sal
1 huevo
1 taza de jocoque (puedes sustituir por yogurt)
2 cucharadas de mantequilla derretida
1 cucharadita de extracto de vainilla 


Procesar los 3 primeros ingredientes en una licuadora hasta que quede pulverizado. Poner la mezcla en un tazón grande y revolver con el bicarbonato de sodio, polvo de hornear, el azúcar y la sal. En un recipiente aparte, batir el huevo con el jocoque, agregue la mantequilla derretida y la vainilla. Combinar los ingredientes húmedos con los secos para formar la masa de los pancakes. Cocinar los pancakes en una plancha caliente. Salen 12 deliciosos pancakes de 4-5 pulgadas.


4 comments:

Alicia said...

I have never heard of Teff! Great to learn something new everyday. I was making a comment on another blog about Vergolagas and googled because I forgot the English name for them (Purslane) and I saw the title of your blog, Prieta's notes. My sister was nicknamed Prieta at birth and everyone still lovingly calls her that even though her name is Lisa, so I'm going to follow along because I love the name of your blog and I love food as well! :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome Alicia... My nickname is Prieta, just like your sister. For many years I did not like anyone outside my family call me Prieta. I embrased the name and being called Prieta in public after I got old and wise - I actually love this name now! Thanks for stopping by.
Prieta

Wendy said...

Qué ricos se ven Martha! Gracias por compartir la receta! :)

Mercedes said...

Ahora si que estos pancakes se me habían pasado, muy interesante lo del cereal teff, nunca lo he probado, ni lo he visto por estas tierras!!! Un feliz año.