Followers

2/13/09

Corico of My Dreams / Corico de Mis Sueños



I got home late from work last night. I was tired and although I was not too hungry, I had a huge craving for coricos, a Mexican cookie, so my plan was to make some coricos for dinner. The recipe I wanted to follow said to weigh some of the ingredients but I do not have a scale. I tried to make the conversions from kilograms to pounds and then to cups but I was not successful. Frustrated, I abandoned my plan and went to bed.

Last night I was so depressed because I couldn't make coricos that I had a dream about them. So I got up this morning with one thing in mind - I was going to make coricos even if I didn't own a scale! I played with the measurements from the recipe and the results were delicious!

When I was growing up our dinner was usually a glass of milk or a cup of hot chocolate accompanied with Mexican sweet bread. We used to fight among ourselves for coricos. My knitting and cooking club is meeting tomorrow at my house so I have prepared a big quantity of coricos and I'm going to surprise my sisters with them. There will be enough for everyone so no fighting will be necessary. :-)

Coricos are cookies made with corn flour and are traditionally made in the Northeast of México (Sonora and Sinaloa).
Here is my adaptation of a recipe taken from Mi Recetario, a Spanish language food web page.

Recipe for Coricos (about 36)

1 c vegetable shortening
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c corn flour (Maseca brand is what I like)
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1/2 c warm water or orange juice (optional)
1/4 c whole wheat flour (divided)


In a big bowl cream vegetable shortening and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended; add eggs and continue beating until incorporated. Add the corn flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt and continue beating, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula. All ingredients must be well mixed. If desired you can add warm water or orange juice and a tablespoon of whole wheat flour, to better handle the dough.

After mixing all ingredients take a small portion of dough roll it between your hands to form a log the width of your index finger, forming a ring with the desired diameter (usually about 3 inches in diameter.) If the dough is soft and sticky use the remainder of whole wheat flour to dust your board and hands. Place the rings on a cookie sheet dusted with flour and bake in a 375°F oven for approximately 18 minutes. Start checking after 10 minutes and remove when they start to change color (take care not to burn, as they cook very quickly).

¡Buen provecho!


















Corico De Mis Sueños


Anoche llegué a casa tarde después del trabajo. Estaba cansada y aunque no tenía mucha hambre, tenía un enorme antojo de coricos, una galleta Mexicana, así que mi plan era preparar algunos coricos para la cena. La receta que quería usar requería pesar algunos de los ingredientes pero no tengo báscula. Traté de hacer las conversiones de kilogramos a libras y luego a tazas, pero no tuve éxito. Frustrada, abandonó mi plan y me fui a la cama. 

Anoche estaba muy deprimida porque no pude hacer coricos que tuve un sueño acerca de ellos. Así que me levanté esta mañana con una sola cosa en mente - ¡iba a preparar coricos con o sin báscula! Experimenté con las medidas de la receta y los resultados fueron ¡deliciosos!

Cuando era pequeña, nuestra cena era por lo general un vaso de leche o una taza de chocolate caliente acompañado con pan dulce Mexicano. ¡Nos peleábamos por los coricos! Mi club de tejido y cocina se reúne mañana en mi casa, he preparado una gran cantidad de coricos y voy a sorprender a mis hermanas con ellos. Habrá suficiente para todas por lo que no será necesario pelear :-)
 
Los coricos son galletas de harina de maíz y tradicionalmente se preparan en el noroeste de México (Sonora y Sinaloa). Aquí está mi adaptación a una receta tomada de Mi Recetario, un web page en español de comida. 

Receta para Coricos (aproximadamente 36) 

1 taza de manteca vegetal
1 taza de azúcar
2 huevos
2 taza de harina de maíz (Maseca)
1 cucharadita de polvo para hornear
1 cucharadita de vainilla
1/2 cucharadita de sal
1/2 taza de agua tibia o jugo de naranja (opcional)
1/4 taza de harina de trigo integral (dividida)


En un recipiente grande batir la manteca y el azúcar con una batidora eléctrica hasta que estén bien mezclados, añadir los huevos y seguir batiendo hasta incorporar. Añadir la harina de maíz, polvo para hornear, la sal y la vainilla y seguir batiendo raspando los lados del recipiente con una espátula. Todos los ingredientes deben estar bien mezclados. Si lo desea puede agregar agua tibia o jugo de naranja y una cucharada de harina de trigo integral para manejar mejor la masa.

Después de mezclar todos los ingredientes, tomar una pequeña porción de masa, enrollar entre las manos y formar una tira de la anchura del dedo índice, formar una rosca con el diámetro deseado (usualmente un diámetro de 3 pulgadas). Si la masa esta blanda y pegajosa, usar el resto de harina de trigo para espolvorear la mesa o tabla y las manos. Colocar los anillos en una charola para hornear galletas espolvoreada con harina y hornear a 375 ° F por aproximadamente 18 minutos. Revisar después de 10 minutos y retirar del horno cuando empiezan a cambiar de color (tenga cuidado de no quemar los coricos, ya que se cocinan muy rápido).

20 comments:

Carmen said...

They look so great I almost want to go home and make them! ...not, just send me a couple for my morning coffe.

Prieta said...

Carmen - I wish I could send you some but they'd break on the way. You should make them, they're so easy. Let me know how they turn out.

Wendy said...

Muchas gracias por la receta. En mi busqueda solo encontraba medidas de kilogramos tambien. Y que bueno que te tomaste el tiempo de experimentar y pasarlas a medidas de taza.
Tengo un intercambio de galletas y he estado buscando como loca que es lo que voy a hacer y me acordé de los coricos!

Prieta said...

Hola Wendy,
Gracias por visitar mi blog. Heche un vistaso a tu blog y lei tu perfil. Al igual que tu yo tambien soy de Mexico y tambien uso este medio para practicar mi escritura en Ingles. Que bueno que te gusto esta receta, a mi me facinan los coricos. Gracias de nuevo y te visitare en tu blog despues de la navidad. En estos dias tengo casa llena.
Feliz Navidad!

Wendy said...

Si muchas gracias nuevamente por la receta de los coricos! Me quedaron deliciosos! Tu receta está exactita y las instrucciones super claras. Mi mami es de Sinaloa y desde que probé los coricos me encantaron! Gracias tambien por visitar mi blog. Ya me inscribí al tuyo para estar al pendiente de tus postings. Te deseo una muy "Feliz Navidad" y hasta pronto!

YADIRA said...

Gracias Prieta por tu receta, justo termine de prepararlos y me salieros deliciosos solo que a tu receta le agregue 1 taza de harina de trigo y no necesite el agua.
MUCHAS GRACIAS

Prieta said...

Yadira, gracias por visitarme! Que bueno que te gusto esta receta y la adaptaste a tu gusto, muy bien!
Los coricos son siempre hechos de harina de maíz pero a algunas personas no les gustan porque son galletas un poco secas. A mi me encantan tal cual son pero tu adaptación es una muy buena opción.
Un saludo!

Anonymous said...

hey,
i was wondering how many calories are in each of these coricos?

thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this recipe ive been searching high and low for it.

Just a note - if you post future recipes it would help if you used TSP or teaspoon instead of just T.
Just using T could be Tablespoon as well as teaspoon. I only figured it out because i translated the spanish version of the recipe hehe.

some people may not realize this and botch the recipe.

Anyways thanks for sharing this

Anonymous said...

LAS FELICITO Y ME DA MUCHO GUSTO QUE LES GUSTEN LOS CORICOS SON MIS FAVORITOS MI ABUELA VIVIA EN GUAMICHIL SINALOA Y YO SOY DE MAZATLAN Y CADA VEZ QUE IBA A VERNOS NOS LLEVABA CORICOS, SON UNA DELICIA SINALOENSE GRACIAS POR RECORDARME A MI QUERIDA ABUELA Y ESPERO QUE SIGAN DISFRUTANDO DE LOS CORICOS Y TAMBIEN HAY RICAS RECETAS DE SINALOA COMO EL PAN DE MUJER EL PAN DE TRIGO SON DELICIOSOS SALUDOS

Sanfranlaurie2 said...

Have looked at a few different recipes and have decided to make yours...looks so good and relatively easy. Can't wait to make and try them. Bought some in a town outside of Puerta Vallarta at Casa de Marta: so delicious and the standard of all coricos. Gracias?

Prieta said...

Sanfranlaurie2. I'm glad you are trying my recipe, I hope you like it. Coricos are so good and a very traditional Mexican recipe. Enjoy!

¿Gusta Usted? said...

Prieta, son nuestros ricos pemoles?

Qué ricos los coricos!

Sanfranlaurie2 said...

My version of your coricos came out great for a first try! My 10 year-old neighbor gave them a "delicious." I dusted them with cinnamon and sugar mix. I may add some cinnamon to the actual mixture next time:). Thanks again!

Unknown said...

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. See the link below for more info.


#dreams
www.matreyastudios.com

Alicia said...

Oh my gosh! I saw the photo for Coricos in your sidebar and had to click the link even though I need to get to work...lol! My dad passed away 2 years ago and he loved Coricos. I never much got why (I'm more a chocolate chip cookie girl myself). But this brought back memories of my wonderful daddy and I printed this out and I'm going to make them for Christmas as gifts for my brothers and sister, memories of our dad :)

Prieta said...

Alicia, yes, these coricos are memorable for many people. I hope you enjoy my recipe. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Hi there. I'm new to baking. Is Maseca the same as corn flour? The package reads CORNMEAL FLOUR. So not sure. Really want to try these out. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, saw your post while searching for corico recipes. Really want to try this but don't want to use corn flour (Maseca) but real fresh nixtamal corn masa instead since I live close to a tortilleria. Would you know the corn masa equivalent to the 2 cups of Maseca? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hello. Thank you for the recipe. I will try this recipe soon. I have a question. Do you use the whole 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour? Maybe I misunderstood but I read 1/4 but only 2 tbsp used.