Followers

1/13/10

Pinole for Carmen / Pinole para Carmen








Yesterday I read a post in Saborearte entusiasma, Carmen's blog, in which she was asking for information about pinole. This brought to me memories of my childhood.


As a child, I liked to eat dirt; clean dirt, of course! This is what I used to say when they were scolding me for eating gross things. I don't know if this is very common in children but, to me, dirt tasted good and I confess, if I didn't know better, I would still be eating it. Anyway, as we already know dirt is not one of the things recommended in the food pyramid, so my mother did what she could to stop my habit. One of the things that I was given to eat to replace my cravings for dirt was  powdered magnesia and another was pinole. Both have a resemblance to the flavor and the texture of dirt, but of course, they were better for me. I loved pinole!

Pinole is what results if you toast some mature corn kernels and grind them into a dry powder. You can buy it in Mexican stores but it is very easy to make at home. When I was a little girl my mom used to prepare pinole very often. I used to nibble on it  in its powdered form or mixed with very cold milk over ice.  Another way we used to have it was as an agua fresca (fresh, flavored water), mixed with iced water. Mmm, pinole smells delicious and tastes delicious!

Carmen also asked if anyone had prepared it before, or if anyone had eaten it with salt. I had prepared it but I never had it with salt. Reading Carmen's blog, I started to crave pinole so I decided to prepare some for myself.
Carmen, this post is dedicated to you and here is a simple and fast pinole recipe.

Pinole

1/2 cup of corn kernels
2 sticks of  cinnamon or 2 Tablespoons of ground cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons of maple sugar




Toast the corn in a griddle until it starts popping but being careful not to burn it. Once the corn is toasted, add to the blender together with the cinnamon and sugar and process until all is well pulverized. Done! And, "El que tenga más saliva que coma más pinole" (the one with the most saliva would be able to eat more pinole (a Mexican say)).


















Pinole para Carmen



Ayer leí un articulo en Saboreartentusiasma, el blog de Carmen, en el cual ella pedía información sobre el Pinole. Esto me trajo recuerdos de mi niñez.


Cuando niña me gustaba comer tierra, eso sí, ¡tierra limpia! Así decía yo cuando me regañaban por cochina.  No sé si es muy común en los niños pero a mi sí me gustaba mucho comer tierra y les confieso que si pudiera seguiría comiendola. En fin, como ya sabemos la tierra no es una de las cosas recomendadas en la pirámide de nutrición, así que mi madre tuvo que echar mano de su ingenio para quitarme esa costumbre. Una de las cosas que me daba a comer para sustituir mi antojo de tierra era magnesia en polvo y otra cosa era el pinole. Ambas tienen una semejanza al sabor y la textura de la tierra, pero claro, eran mejor. ¡El pinole es algo que me encanta!

Pinole es lo que resulta cuando se tuestan granos de maíz  y se muelen hasta convertirse en polvo. Se puede comprar en tiendas de comida Mexicana pero es muy fácil de preparar en casa. Cuando era niña mi mamá preparaba pinole muy seguido.  A mi me gusta comerlo así en polvito o mezclado en leche muy helada, se le puede agregar hielos. También mi mamá solía prepararlo como agua fresca revolviendo con agua y hielos. ¡Mmm, el pinole huele rico y sabe rico!

Carmen también pregunto que si alguien lo había preparado antes o que si alguien lo había comido con sal. Yo si lo he preparado pero nunca lo he comido con sal. Leyendo el blog de Carmen me dieron ganas de pinole y me puse a preparar un poco. 

Carmen, este articulo es dedicado a ti y aquí  esta una receta para preparar el pinole de una forma  sencilla y rápida.




Pinole


1/2 taza de granos de maíz
2 rajitas de canela entera o 2 cucharadas de canela molida
2-3 cucharadas de azúcar de maple






Se tuesta el maíz en un comal hasta que empiece a tronar pero teniendo cuidado que no se queme. Una vez tostado, se agrega a la licuadora junto con la canela y el azúcar y se procesan hasta que todo este bien pulverizado. Listo! Y el que tenga más saliva que coma más pinole!

4 comments:

Carmen said...

Hola Prieta: Me siento muuuy agradecida por tu post y por tomarte la molestia en preparar pinole y pasar la receta aquí.

Mira, mi pregunta más bien se refería a que me dieran anécdotas sobre el pinole, si era de consumo habitual, si les gustaba, si tenían la costumbre de prepararlo de comprarlo hecho, referencias de gente que sobre todo hubiera vivido en el norte de la República como en Chihuahua que es donde más se consume. Pero como siempre soy bien pero bien descuidada no hice la pregunta directamente.

Lo que pasa que estoy preparando un platillo novedoso y singular hecho con pinole. AL principio le resté importancia y creí que no debería de hacerlo. Ayer después que escribí el post algo se me reveló y tengo dos proyectos en mente, uno lo acabo de realizar ahorita en la noche, el otro depende del resultado mañana lo sabré. En fin que en este mundo de cocinar e idear platillos me muevo.
Has sido tan gentil y linda por preparar pinole gracias.
¿Tú mamá de dónde era? Perdón que lo pregunte pero mi curiosidad es mucha sobre todo por lo que te acabo de contar.

Eso de comer tierra en los niños dicen que es porque les hace falta calcio, y que instintivamente lo hacen. También he oido que las mujeres embarazadas a algunas les da por comer tierra y entonces consumen esa magnesia que te daba tu mamá, pero mira que el pinole es buena idea.
Bueno, te mando un saludo afectuosa y de nuevo te agradezco tu tiempo.

Prieta said...

Carmen,
Mi mamá es, aun vive gracias a Dios, de el estado de Nayarit. Y si, tu pregunta no fue muy directa pero creo que de todos modos has estado recibiendo buenos datos y anécdotas sobre el pinole. Suerte en tu proyecto y que estés bien.
Martha

kim said...

This sounds yum! And good use of maple sugar. I was confused at first because I thought this sounded like atole. I'm reading a book called "Crazy for Corn" by Betty Fussell (you would like it!) and learned atole is another word for pinole!

Prieta said...

Hi Kim,
Yes, I decided to use maple sugar in my pinole because I did not have any unrefined sugar, which is usually what I like in pinole, but maple sugar works great. Thanks for the maple sugar.

I don't think atole is another word for pinole, but you can make atole with pinole. Atole is a hot beverage usually made with masa but it can also be made with cornstarch, rice, oatmeal and pinole. Some of my cousins from Mexico also make atole with hominy. It can be flavored with spices like cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate and/or with fruits like guava, plum or apple, among other things. It is cooked in water or milk and piloncillo (brown sugar) is used to sweetened atole (maple sugar would be good too). One of my cousins told me that in her homwtown, atole the masa is traditionally the drink to acompany very hot chilaquiles for breakfast. Personally, I don't like atole but my family likes to drink it. I don't like atole but I like to drink pinole mixed in very cold milk.

After telling my sisters how much frijoles we ate at christmas time, Boni lent me a book called "It's all in the frijoles" by Yolanda Nava. When I finish reading this I'll look for the one you're reading.