Followers

5/9/09

A Thousand Zucchinis in One Little Garden/ Miles de Calabacitas en un Jardin Muy Pequeño


Greetings from my beautiful garden! I would like to share some pictures of my zucchini and squash, tomatoes and tomatillo plants!

The first photo is from last year. My plants produced beautiful flowers but not very many squash. The center photo is my garden today. I planted four tomato plants (San Marzano, grape tomatoes, and two kinds of heirlooms that my mother gave me). I also have two tomatillo plants and a basil plant. But I have lots of squash! It looks like all the seeds that I sowed germinated without any trouble. My mother-in-law said that I will have enough squash to feed the entire County of San Diego but I will be very happy if I get enough for my household. The last photo is what I expect to harvest very soon. I can't wait!

On the other side of the garden (I have not taken pictures yet) I'm growing serrano peppers, beets, three kinds of potatoes, fennel, carrots, lettuce, garlic, onion chives and herbs of various kinds - parsley, mint , oregano, basil, chamomile, thyme, sage, lemon verbena and a bay tree that is still very, very small.

Last year I did not have much luck with my squash and my tomatoes but I harvested sweet potato, lettuce and purslane, and my basil and parsley plants lasted almost all year. I did have some good tomatoes and some squash last year but this year, I hope to have an abundance of vegetables. What about you? What do you have in your garden this year? Send me a little note.


Here is a recipe for a simple but delicious soup that I love to cook. I got the recipe from a women at work (Marenda) about 5 years ago and now is one of my favorites.


Potato and Summer Squash Soup with Mint

Serves 4-5

1 yellow onion, chopped
3 Tbs. olive oil
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 red potatoes, diced
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 small zucchini, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 small yellow squash, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 small mexican squash, trimmed and thinly sliced*
1 cup of small dried pasta shapes or couscous
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, add the zucchini, yellow and mexican squash, and cook until the vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add the pasta or couscous and cook, stirring frequently, until al dente. Stir in the mint.
Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

*Note- I use 3 kinds of squash to make this soup colorful but you can use only 1 kind if you want, it won't affect the flavor.









Miles de Calabacitas en un Jardín Muy Pequeño



Saludos desde mi hermoso jardín! Y les comparto unas fotos de mis plantas de calabacitas, tomates y tomatillos! 


La primer foto es del año pasado. Mis plantas florearon mucho pero no coseche muchas calabacitas. La foto del centro es mi jardín el día de hoy. Tengo sembradas cuatro plantas de tomates (San Marzano, grape tomatoes, y dos de heirlooms tomatoes que me dio mi mamá). También tengo dos plantas de tomatillos y una plantita de albahaca (basil). Pero tengo muchísimas plantas de calabacita!!! Parece ser que todas las semillas que sembré germinaron sin ningún problema. Mi suegra dice que voy a tener suficiente calabacitas para alimentar a todo el condado de San Diego pero me daré por bien servida si logro cosechar suficiente para mi familia. La ultima foto es lo que espero cosechar dentro de muy poco tiempo, ¡casi no puedo esperar!


En el otro lado del jardín (no he tomado fotos todavía) tengo sembrados chiles serranos, betabel, tres clases de papas, fennel (¿hinojo?), zanahorias, lechuga, ajo, cebollitas verdes y varias clases de hierbas de olor - perejil, hierbabuena, orégano, albahaca, manzanilla, tomillo, salvia (sage), verbena de limón y un arbolito de laurel que todavía esta muy pero muy chiquito.


El año pasado no tuve mucha suerte con mi calabacitas y mi tomates pero coseche camotes, lechugas y verdolaga y mis plantas de albahaca y perejil me duraron casi todo el año. Si tuve algunos buenos tomates y unas cuantas calabacitas pero este año espero tener en abundancia. ¿Y tu? ¿Que tienes sembrado en tu jardín este año? Enviame una notita

Aquí esta la receta para una sencilla pero deliciosa sopa que me encanta cocinar. Esta receta me la dio una señora en el trabajo (Marenda) como hace 5 años y hoy es una de mis favoritas.







Sopa de Papas y Calabacitas con Hierbabuena

Sirve 4-5 porciones 

1 cebolla amarilla, picada
3 cucharadas de aceite de oliva
8 tazas de caldo de pollo
3 papas, picadas
sal y pimienta al gusto
1 calabacita italiana, partida a lo largo y rebanada
1 calabacita amarilla, partida a lo largo y rebanada
1 calabacita mexicana, partida a lo largo y rebanada
1 taza de pasta seca y pequeña, como ojo de perdis o couscous
2 cucharadas de hierbabuena fresca, picada
1/3 de taza de queso parmesano, rallado

En una olla grande, sofria a fuego mediano, la cebolla en el aceite, aproximadamente 5 minutos. Agregue el caldo de pollo, las papas, sal y pimienta. Cuando este caliente pero sin hervir, agregue las calabacitas y cocine hasta que las verduras se hablanden, aproximadamente 10 minutos. Agregue la pasta y cocine, revolviendo frecuentemente, hasta que la pasta este al dente. Agregue la hierbabuena. Sirva en platos soperos y espolvoree con el queso. Disfrute inmediatamente.

No comments: