Followers

7/22/09

Summer Salads


I am very excited about the food growing in my back yard. Ever since I sowed the first seeds, I've been going out almost every morning to survey my back yard in search of new ripe veggies. I keep looking at my fennel and inspecting my carrots and zucchinis, waiting for the day I can pick something to eat. It is an inexplicable feeling but I really enjoy seeing how things take shape in my garden. I have been eating the fruits of my labor for several weeks now. I'll tell you, it is not bad for an inexperienced gardener! Things are tasting mighty good!



I made this salad with my first summer squash and tomatoes. Just thinly slice the squash and halve the tomatoes. Toss them with some avocado oil and season them with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh mint.



With these three ingredients I prepared another salad. Roast some beets in a 400° oven for 25 minutes. When cool, peel and slice them. Clean and slice the fennel and the tomato. Arrange all three ingredients on a plate and season with salt and ground black pepper plus a little bit of sumac. Sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil and the juice of half lemon. Garnish with fennel fronds.

Mmm, summer salads, what a treat!


No comments: